Ba Duan Jin in Treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity DisorderLast updated on July 2021
- Recruitment Status
- Estimated Enrollment
- Same as current
- "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder"
- Not Applicable
- Allocation: RandomizedIntervention Model: Parallel AssignmentIntervention Model Description: The present study will be carried out using a parallel randomized study design. Each participant will be randomly assigned either to the Baduanjin intervention or to the regular physical exercise control group.Masking: Double (Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)Masking Description: The medical treatment of participants will be given by a doctor who does not know the study group of the patient. The investigator of the primary outcome and secondary outcome will also be unaware of the grouping of the patient. One psychiatrist blind of grouping will ask parents about the ADHD Hyperactivity/Impulsivity symptom of their children and rate it with SNAP-IV Hyperactivity/Impulsivity score. Another Chinese traditional medical doctor blind of grouping will evaluate the severity of traditional Chinese medicine symptoms of children and rate it with TCM symptom scale.Primary Purpose: Treatment
- Between 8 years and 16 years
- Both males and females
ADHD is a common neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by a persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity and impulsivity, resulting in functional impairment in multiple settings. The prevalence in China is estimated to be 6.26%. From the point of Chinese Traditional Medicine (TCM), ADH...
ADHD is a common neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by a persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity and impulsivity, resulting in functional impairment in multiple settings. The prevalence in China is estimated to be 6.26%. From the point of Chinese Traditional Medicine (TCM), ADHD can be divided into 4 categories according to the symptom differentiation in TCM. Aerobic exercise is known to improve executive function (EF) performance, which is known as the core deficit of ADHD, therefore reduce ADHD symptoms. Aerobic exercise with the component of self-control and development of character is reported to improve EF. Baduanjin is one of the aerobic exercises that has been handed down since the northern song dynasty, serving as Chinese physical and breathing exercises. The eight movements of Baduanjin are required to be gentle, slow, elastic and appropriate which not only require the practitioner to control physical activity but also require a combination of cognitive activities. Researchers found that Baduanjin has a positive protective effect on cognitive function such as selective attention in patients with mild cognitive impairment adults. Therefore, investigators designed the Baduanjin training system. This is a combination of a physical and cognitive training program and a video game with a motivation system, interesting and engaging for children with ADHD to practice on.
- NCT #
- Shanghai Municipal Science and Technology Commission
- Study Chair: Daqian Zhu, PhD Department of Psychological Medicine, Children's Hospital of Fudan University